Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Vegan MoFo - First Post Fajitas!

I'm planning to use Vegan MoFo as a motivator to get back into posting often -- but for this first week of September, we're up in Wisconsin with not much internet services, so posts will be sparse until we're home. BUT, the reason we're up here is related to our MoFo theme -- we're holding our vegan wedding reception up here!

We arrived on Saturday equipped with photos from cookbook pages, Vegusto and Just Mayo packed in ice, & ingredients lists for everything else we need... and that's just the cooking part. Lots of other prep work to be done (and I had initially imagined this as a low key event.....)

Anyway, as a kickoff post, a pre-wedding-reception meal -- easy to make, healthy (ish?) and delicious. We had some fajitas with onions, peppers, vegan chicken, and homemade tortillas, as well as the summer tomato salad from Cookin' Crunk.  

Fajita fixings
The homemade tortillas and the tomato salad were actually the best part. I used this recipe for the tortillas, and cooked them in a cast iron pan, which I think worked wonders. I did NOT use any cooking spray - I've found that as long as you use enough flour to keep the tortillas from sticking together, they don't stick at all to the pan, and they cook a lot nicer. I also mixed in the oil before adding warm water to the dough. So be careful. You can also sub whole wheat flour for some of the white flour -- it tastes really good that way, but the tortilla is a bit more tough with whole wheat.

For the peppers, onions, and chickens -- we just cut one onion and two bell peppers into strips, sauteed the onions over medium heat for a few minutes, then added the peppers and turned it up to high. In the middle of sauteeing, you can squeeze some lime juice on them - otherwise no seasoning is really needed. Once they have a nice char on them, they're ready to serve. We used the same pan for the vegan chickens (I prefer Gardein or something; these were SoL cuisine).

Usually I make a chipotle mayo sauce with a few tbs vegenaise, 1/4 cup vegan plain yogurt, and one chipotle pepper (from a can, with adobo sauce), plus some lime juice and salt, blended together in a food processor. We didn't do that this time, since the SoL chicken had chipotle flavoring with it.

For the tomato salad - you will just have to read the cookbook! I subbed red wine vinegar for rice vinegar, and we threw in some fresh dill, both of which I think were good choices. The key is really good tomatoes and cucumbers, and 'tis the season...

Sorry I didn't take another photo of the plate! And more wedding-themed stuff will be coming. As a teaser: Red onion jam, cashew cheeze, homemade hummus, catered vegan entrees, and booze.....

Happy MoFo!

2 comments:

  1. I love fajitas and have them on my MoFo to-do list. Your wedding menu sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for wedding theme! Best wishes :)
    And, I totally want that chipotle mayo soon.

    ReplyDelete