Sunday, December 15, 2013

Birthday food!

Last Saturday was my birthday, and I got to have some spectacular food...

Tiramisu cake
First, on Friday before my birthday, my mom sent this cake from Sticky Fingers to my office (which was highly appropriate since it was my coworker's birthday the same day as mine!) It was SUPER delicious, and really rich -- supposedly this serves 6-8, but I think they mean 6-8 dinosaurs, because after a small piece in the morning I was full until dinner. That's not a bad thing, of course, since it meant the cake lasted through the birthday weekend. My coworkers and I really enjoyed this Friday treat.

Crepes with blueberry syrup and cream cheese frosting
The morning of my birthday, we made crepes, which we've talked about before... the blueberry syrup was totally me making up how to make blueberry syrup but it came out really well. I couldn't tell you what I did if I tried, but it involved blueberries, water, sugar, and a bit of corn starch. The cream cheese frosting is easy, just half a tub of cream cheese and a handful of walnuts beaten with powdered sugar until you get a nice consistency and flavor. So easy, so perfect for a birthday breakfast.

Yes, I took a picture of a latte cup
We headed into Georgetown to meet coworkers at the holiday bazaar that the Swedish Embassy hosted (which was great!) Before heading there, we got a soy latte from Baked & Wired, one of our favorite cafes in DC (and they sometimes have vegan cupcakes!) And, an extra surprise when my friend Kia from college was working there & made our latte! She did a great job, I have to say, one of the best soy lattes we've tasted. Or maybe getting it on my birthday made it better... a combination of both, I think.

No photo of this, but we got some small cups of glögg (did I spell that right?) from the Swedish bazaar--mulled wine, but with a cool Swedish name. Another perfect warm-up drink. 

Veggie 'beef' clay pot
For dinner, we went to Harmony Cafe in Georgetown, and ordered a veggie clay pot -- delicious, as usual. I also had a plum wine with that and a vegan fish dish, also good.

On Sunday, we went to If/Then, a musical that was playing in DC for a while starring Idina Menzel. The acting and singing was top notch, which is what musicals are for, so we weren't disappointed. Food-wise, we just had drinks -- white wine and gin & tonics. Perfect.

A great weekend overall! But a whole year to wait before the next one... luckily, I can find lots of excuses for vegan cake in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment