Friday, June 28, 2013

Vegan Bacon Roll-Ups

According to Wikipedia, a slice of pig bacon has 44 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, and 2.9 grams of protein. According to my Tofurkey smoked maple tempeh bacon package, a slice of vegan bacon has 18.6 calories, .14 grams of fat, 1.7 grams of protein, and 0 dead pigs. I'll give up a gram of protein to save 3 grams of fat and the life of one piglet any day. That's just what I did last week, but I drew a blank on ideas for how to use my vegan bacon. 



I came across a few other straggling ingredients in the fridge-- a vegan sausage, an open can of green chilies, and half a tub of vegan cream cheese--and that set a lightbulb off in my head. For my vegan bacon roll-ups, I cut 6 inch pieces of vegan bacon and spooned a layer of cream cheese evenly on the upward facing edge of the bacon. I topped the cream cheese with an layer of green chillies and set the strips aside. Then I cut the sausage into thin slices and rolled the bacon around the sausage, sealing the roll with a toothpick. I think these would be good prepped on a grill, but I fried them in oil over medium heat and they turned out fine. Next time we'll make our own sausages and be sure there's a football game and friends to share this protein packed vegan hors d'oeuvres with.

Roll-ups with vegan creamed spinach



No comments:

Post a Comment