Monday, August 19, 2013

Almond Alfredo sauce

Sorry for another week of absence -- it's not that I've been that busy, it's that I haven't undertaken many interesting endeavors in the culinary or gastronomical spheres. I did make something good last night, though, even though I was the only one who got to enjoy it! I used this recipe to make an almond-tofu Alfredo sauce, which we've made once before, and it turned out really well.

Marinara, Alfredo, pasta, and some broccoli...

I adapted mine a bit due to lack of white wine and miso (*gasp* yes, we are out of miso, a trip to the Japanese market is probably in store), but it turned out really well. I also used a little less soy milk than required (after halving the recipe in the first place). I recommend using a high-powered food processor if you have one, otherwise maybe sub almond meal for the almonds, unless you want a coarser nutty texture. I also used almond milk instead of soy milk. Anyway, I love that the sauce is full of protein and much healthier than it tastes.

The marinara sauce in the photo is from a jar--I can't remember the brand, but it was labeled as having garlic and merlot--I'm wary of garlic thanks to my stomach, but it didn't bother me. The red sauce and white sauce mixed for a good flavor, though I actually preferred my homemade sauce to the jar version! I had some leftover Alfredo and pasta to enjoy for lunch; it was even better reheated. I got some of my daily dose of greens in as well with a side of broccoli.

I also had some pancakes for brunch yesterday from Sticky Fingers:

Cucumber melon kombucha, pancakes, and blueberry syrup
The kombucha is from Capital Kombucha. I didn't like this flavor as much as their other vegan flavor I've tried (some have honey). The pancakes, though, were delicious as usual, the first I've had in a while that I didn't have to make myself!

Dan gets back Saturday! Trying to plan what to have ready for him when he gets home that night... cookie ice cream sandwiches, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment