Saturday, August 10, 2013

Bay Area part III

I got some good news the other day that someone turned my phone in to the BART lost and found--really unexpected, but hopefully I can have it sent back to me with photos intact, and publish some of them in a later post. Meanwhile, here's more from our last few days in California...

Juice from Google headquarters
On Tuesday, I went with our friend Chelsea to visit the Google headquarters in Mountain View, where another friend works. Google has a lot of awesome stuff, not the least of which is the free food for employees available in every corner! We had a great lunch (lots of vegan options, though they didn't have any vegan desserts the day I went) and grabbed some snacks during our tour. One of my favorite offerings was the juice they had at one of the smoothie bars. I can't remember what was in it--celery, cucumber, apple, and some other fruits and veggies, I think. A Google employee could probably live pretty healthily off of all the food they serve, provided they didn't over-indulge!

On Monday night, Dan, Chelsea and I went to an Indian restaurant, House of Curries, nearby the UC Berkeley campus. Most of their vegetable dishes are vegan, and according to them, the naan bread is vegan as well. Everything is also super cheap. Dan and I shared the channa masala, which was awesome. I'd 100% recommend this place if you're on a budget and need something tasty and quick. 

Wednesday, I met up with my friend Katrina again, and she took me to an amazing vegan place in Oakland where she used to work--Souley Vegan (which is right next to an awesome bar with 40+ beers on tap!) I ordered the BBQ tofu sandwich, mac and cheese, and some buffalo seitan wings to bring to Dan later that night. The tofu sandwich was so good! I couldn't finish it, and it made my face an absolute mess, but I'd definitely eat it again. The mac and cheese had nice, big noodles, though I think the seasoning was actually too flavorful for me (it was good, I guess I just like my mac and cheese to be more bland!) I had their lemon strawberry cupcake, which was, as expected, a treat. Dan and I liked the seitan wings a lot, and we craved them later on. I absolutely recommend Souley Vegan to anyone headed to the Oakland area or nearby!

Enjoying my barbecue tofu sandwich by the water
That's most of what we ate and did when we stayed at Berkeley. I doubt we got to sample all of the greatest vegan treasures in the area, but we definitely ate our fill... Now, Dan is in Japan surviving on avocados, rice, and tofu, and I'm trying to cook for one here at home (much harder than cooking for two.) I can't wait until Dan gets back for more food adventures together, as cheesy as that sounds!


No comments:

Post a Comment