Monday, September 23, 2013

Dijon potato salad

I tried to think of something cool to say about mayo-free-potato-salad, and none of it made any sense, so I will just be straightforward. We made dijon potato salad with fresh dill this weekend, not so much as a football game accompaniment, but as a... weekend-long side dish, I guess you could say. We actually went to Duffy's Irish Bar, a Packers bar near U street station, to watch the game--they have veggie dogs! And veggie burgers. We just had fries. I'm not sure if the buns there are vegan, we've never ordered them. Anyway, back to the potato salad:

It might appear blurrier than it is, or maybe I did move the camera... I can't tell if it's an illusion or not!
We bought a new bowl just for this! Not really, that bowl was $3 at Target and we didn't already have one that size--good deal. Anyway, this is something my mom used to make to go with veggie burgers (recipe from my mom's blog here). We used green beans, small potatoes, fresh dill, toasted almonds, and dijon mustard. I think this weekend marked the end of barbecue and potato salad season... so we went out with a bang, by making this and also going to an office barbecue (in the rain, but that didn't actually dampen the occasion much!) where the hosts made three great vegan salads--lentil/orzo, bean/avocado/tomato, and spinach with raisins--and we brought some veggie dogs and tofu burgers to eat. I love it when people think creatively about 'salad' and 'vegan' together -- beans in a salad is a big thumbs up from me.

So, if you want to feed a vegan at a barbecue with something other than veggie burgers (or make an entirely vegan barbecue), I hope I've given you a few ideas to add to your repertoire... think beyond the lettuce!


No comments:

Post a Comment