Sunday, September 15, 2013

Linda's scalloped potatoes

About a year and a half ago, someone called "Linda" on Twitter started following me. Their handle was @scallopedpotato. I'll let you find the account on your own--there's something endearing about the seven tweets on there, see for yourself.

I've never actually made scalloped potatoes. I don't know if I've even had them, maybe something resembling scalloped potatoes that my mom used to make, but I paid way more attention to pasta casseroles than layered potato dishes as a child*. After finding some good potatoes at the local farmer's market, we decided to, uh, scallop them? this weekend.

Scalloped potatoes--not the most attractive dish--and broccoli

We used this recipe with a few additions. It wasn't hard--we kept the skins on the potatoes which I could have done without, and we used a small onion. The pan was a bit too small, and some liquid spilled into our stove, so I recommend either a bigger pan or putting a tray under it while cooking. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, we added vegan cheese and vegan ground beef to the top.

Before being cheesed, with smoked paprika on top
With vegan beef and cheese
Dan really liked this one. The recipe is easy to follow and works pretty well, so I recommend following its preparation and adding your own extra toppings or seasonings! Linda, aka @scallopedpotato, would be proud.

*I am not a potato person. My sister really liked potatoes growing up and didn't care much for pasta, I was the opposite. Now, my favorite starch might be rice, but I'm still a big fan of noodles and pastas... I wonder if there are 2 camps, pasta lovers and potato lovers, and rice is the unifying force? I've never met anyone who doesn't like rice...


1 comment:

  1. Mmm, looks good and sounds nice & simple! I'll have to try it sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete